Captivate by Carrie Jones (Manali's Review)

Captivate (Need, #2)Captivate by Carrie Jones
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

*WARNING SPOILERS*

So. I kinda hated this book. It was worse than the first one, which I didn't like much either. I can barely find words for how much I dislike this book.

This is the synopsis:

Zara and her friends thought they'd solved the pixie problem. And they did - sort of. The pixie's are all locked away, deep in the woods. But the king's needs grow stronger each day that he is in captivity, while his control over his people weakens. And it's enough to draw a new king into town. Astley claims he is different. He claims there are pixies who can live peacefully with humans, that it doesn't have to be all violence and nastiness all the time. Zara wants to believe him...until Astley also claims that she is fated to be his queen.

There is no way Zara would ever turn pixie. And she's got good friends who will make sure of that. Besides, she and Nick are so in love they're practically inseparable. But when they very thing Zara wants to protect most is exactly what's at risk, she is forced to make choices she never imagined....


The writing for this book was even worse than that of the first one. It was all the more immature, and Zara and Nick's little nick names bothered me so much. I mean, "Baby" was a little bit too much. "What is it baby?" "What's wrong baby?" and so on. It sounded incredibly insincere and cheesy. And lame.

The "baby" thing irritated me so much that I almost liked Astley with Zara more than Nick. And I wasn't at all upset that Nick died. Because like in any lame book, the boyfriend never really dies. He either fakes death, or they somehow find a way to bring him back.

I found Nick and Zara's love very premature. Like they're already calling each other the loves of each others's lives, calling each other soul-mates etc., after only knowing each other for a little while, not even a few months. It seems like such simple love, like there's no depth to it, and it doesn't seem real. It's not developed, and therefore not real love.

Though there was a really nice quote in that book, right after Nick left, which went something like, "My story has lost it's male protagonist." I only liked the quote because I found it funny how true and false it was at the same time.


I don't mean to be mean (haha) but this book was really bad. I am really not looking forward to reading the rest, but I have to, due to the OCD part of me. 2 stars for this book.

- Mannytee

View all my reviews

Captivate (Need, #2)

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!