Paper Towns by John Green (Jasper's Review)

Jump to:中文简体字
My rating: 3/5

   Hi everyone, so this is going to be my first review posted onto the blog. I'm excited!! So I did write a shorter version of this review on Goodreads you can check it out here.
  So if you've read our welcome post you would know that we do three reviews of most of the books we put on here. This is the first out of three Paper Towns reviews.

 Synopsis from Goodreads


Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and  they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.
</


  So on with the actual review.
If you read my review on Goodreads you'd notice that I said that I find John Green's characters are quite repetitive. While I have heard from some people that read my review say that he changes the characters enough for them not to be the same. But I still stand by my statement in that I find the similarities between Quentin and Margo too plagiaristic to the relationship between Augustus and Hazel. If you look closely enough, you'll see that 1) They are a couple 2)They fall in love really quickly 3) They're only with each other for a little while before they split up (a night for Q and Margo, a couple months in the case of Augustus and Hazel.) There are way more similarities but I would go through pages before listing them all.
   This book, if it had been written by another author, would have been spectacular. But after John Green has written so many books using the same template, it becomes more or less boring.
   But with that said, I still loved the plot and many of the characters in this book. Characters like "Radar" make this book so much better. He adds a lot of humour into the book that made it less of a boring read.

   See what I mean?
   So a bit about the plot. The plot of this book was paced at the perfect speed; leaving enough room for character development that make most of his characters seem so real. *Sigh* I keep on going back to his characters. Hmm... Ah. So the plot for this story was actually really good at the beginning and the end but in the middle, its basically just filler. John Green could've probably condensed this book a bit by removing some of that fluff in the middle. Like nothing happens. But if you keep reading through till the end, you'll see that it was worth the wait for that ending. But then again, this book ends rather abruptly killing the moment so I guess I didn't like that part either...
  To whom do I recommend this book?
I suggest that everyone read this book. Especially when you're feeling sad and down about life. Just to remind yourself that it gets better. It does.  



No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!