Matched by Ally Condie (Manali's Review)

Matched (Matched, #1)Matched by Ally Condie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

*WARNING: SPOILERS*

Having another OCD moment. I'm gonna post a review of Reached but I haven't posted Matched or Crossed. So now I am. Alright, so here's the synopsis:

"Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow."

Okay. This book was very ishy. It had a legit plot, but it got ridiculously boring at times. I suppose I shouldn't judge based on what bores me...but that's what ruined it for me. I was actually really disappointed by the writing. Like, it's incredible writing, but it st became too much, and it bore me to death. Also, it had way too much of a similarity to The Giver.

So now, I wanna focus on characters. I like how the main character, Cassia, has this fascination with poems. I think it's kinda cool, with her being a rebel and stuff, sneaking all these things in the tight Society. And then there's Ky. He seemed okay at first, but I started gradually hating him. My favourite character in all of this was Xander, only because he seemed so much more...right. I don't know. But the good thing was that there was a lot of room for character development.

I got really mad when Cassia and Ky didn't like, get on with it. They were taking it so slow, and made it so boring. Like, the author had one book to set up a proper love story, so you can't wait until the last 100 pages or so to get it going. It kind of felt like she wasted too much time on Cassia contemplating over her grandfather's death, and that's okay and all, but it seemed to take priority over something that will obviously be important in the next books.

So this book...it wasn't the greatest, wasn't the worst. 3 stars.

-Mannytee



View all my reviews

Matched (Matched, #1)

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!