The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan (Manali's Review)

The Tragedy PaperThe Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*WARNING SPOILERS*

This was the second out of the three books I read last week...and this book literally brought me to tears. Not to many--one or two--but still.


Tim Macbeth, a seventeen-year-old albino and a recent transfer to the prestigious Irving School, where the motto is “Enter here to be and find a friend.” A friend is the last thing Tim expects or wants—he just hopes to get through his senior year unnoticed. Yet, despite his efforts to blend into the background, he finds himself falling for the quintessential “It” girl, Vanessa Sheller, girlfriend of Irving’s most popular boy. To Tim's surprise, Vanessa is into him, too, but she can kiss her social status goodbye if anyone ever finds out. Tim and Vanessa begin a clandestine romance, but looming over them is the Tragedy Paper, Irving’s version of a senior year thesis, assigned by the school’s least forgiving teacher.

Jumping between viewpoints of the love-struck Tim and Duncan, a current senior about to uncover the truth of Tim and Vanessa, The Tragedy Paper is a compelling tale of forbidden love and the lengths people will go to keep their love.




This book was so John Green. It was so sad, and it was written in that John Green style...and it didn't have that happy ending.

This story was so beautiful though. Not just the love story, but more because of Tim's story. The way he lost his sight, his innocence, the way he never got his happy ending. Duncan, I couldn't care less about, to be honest. I didn't like him, I didn't like his story, I didn't like his girlfriend. I was more concerned about Tim.

Tim is a lot better out of the two characters. Tim's story is so tragic; it was good for Duncan to have used it as his tragedy paper. It made so much sense. His story was so wrong, and so sad, and it was tragic.

It wasn't fair that Vanessa nearly died, and that Tim went blind, and that Tim never got Vanessa, because that's how stories work; they always get each other...but they didn't. And it added to the story so much more. Usually it's the story that makes something sad. Here, not only was the story sad, but the ending as well. I think that was the point. A sad-ish life, made so much sadder.

description
I'm really very sad. And I'm glad that there wasn't a sequel. One, because I wouldn't have been able to take the feels, and two, because I feel like it would have taken away from the story. But I do want to read more from this writer. She is absolutely brilliant, even if she did make me cry a bit.

- Mannytee




View all my reviews

The Tragedy Paper

1 comment :

  1. Hi! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Here's my post - http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebster-award.html

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!