Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey (Manali's Review)

Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet #1)Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yay for another book review! I have now run out of books to review. This is the third and final book I read last week...and now I have to start reading again if I'm gonna review any more.

Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.

Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?




So at the beginning, this book had me like,

description

I was so confused. I was so, so confused. It took me a while to figure out that they were just con artists (haha), and I couldn't figure out how they would just jump to places. And then, as the first chapter began, I didn't notice that there had been a time jump since then and the prologue. I should have known, but at the same time, it wasn't shown clearly, to me at least.

After the confusing bit was over, I started to really like the book. It was so cool. I love how it was told in olden times--1800s--which is not really something I usually read. The only teen books that I have read that took place in that time period would be the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. But even then, this book had so much more of an old-style feel to it. It was even less modern. Which was so amazing; it brought a much more real feel to the book.

I liked the characters as a whole. The author made me like them, made me hate them, made me change my opinions of them. For example, Caroline: I hated her. I thought she was a killer, but the way she cried for Tabitha made me completely change my mind. More importantly Mr. Travis: I hated him even more. He was so creepy, and Rowena's "Mr. Tra" message kinda creeped me out, and made me believe that he was a murderer. But he only loved Rowena, so I liked him. Violet's mother...simple. She's just a b****. Tabitha, I didn't like her at first, but I grew to like her, because once again, her broken side showed through, and it showed that she wasn't all bad. Elizabeth was such a sweetheart; she was so cute, and supportive, and I loved her. Peter...I hate him. Go die in a hole, Peter. And Colin...Colin.

Let's just discuss Colin and Violet. They are so cute, and Colin is so brilliant. Like he's always there for her, while trying to maintain his annoying reputation. And it's so cute. Too cute.

This book was really good. I actually had my doubts about it, I didn't think I would be able to finish it. But I actually wasn't able to put it down. And when I finished, I had literally nothing to do. It was so good.

- Mannytee

View all my reviews

Haunting Violet (Haunting Violet #1)

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!