Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Manali's Review)

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe by Beth Revis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*WARNING: SPOILERS*

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.




Holy f*** this book was amazing. First of all, the cover is absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure why they changed it to that weird metal-y thing, but I don't like that new cover. I'm really glad I read it in it's original cover, because it'a absolutely beautiful.

The actual story was sooooo cool. The idea itself I found pretty cool. Cryogenically frozen so that you could be transported to terraform a planet called Centauri-Earth that would take 300 years to reach? That's cool. I love the way the pain of getting frozen was described. Yeah, thats a bit morbid of me, but I appreciated the detailed description. It made everything feel so much more real.

description

First, the Season. Like ew. That is so ridiculously gross, I can't even. Yeah, it does really show the lack of humanity aboard Godspeed, the way they have a set time to do it because they couldn't handle doing it whenever, yeah, but having to picture a bunch of people having sex literally everywhere? That's really gross. Nuh-uh.

description

And oh my god, the Plague. The fact that there wasn't a plague at all and they managed to cover it up scares me a bit. All history before then was wiped out. And then the fact that the ship had been running for way over 300 years, and would continue to run for another 100 or so years if it doesn't break down? Oh god. And the cryo level itself is completely hidden. And the chemicals being released into the water supply is causing people to lose their...humanity, I guess...except for the people who are supposedly crazy, who are on meds--they don't get affected. I don't know, it just bothered me how sick people were on the ship, specifically Elder.

And then the part about the chemicals in the water, and then everything is just...I can't think anymore. Elder, though. Hiding a plague, drugging inhabitants, controlling sex, and making people believe that they were close to their destination, and showing them fake stars that they could tell their children about. He's sick. Like the thing about stars. Harley suicided because of the stars, so he could be with them. And he painted himself with a background of stars before he died. And it makes me sad. I think the stars were the saddest part to me. What if we, who are...accustomed t stars were to be put on a Godspeed? We wouldn't have real stars, we would only have the occasional glimpse of fake stars. I suppose stars are taken for granted.

And then there's who whole part about who unplugged Amy and the rest of the people and the whole Elder, Amy, Doc, Eldest, Orion thing. I really couldn't figure out who I should suspect as the unplugger. Which is really good, I think. The author kept things suspenseful, First, I was thinking Eldest. Then I was thinking Doc. Then Orion. The Eldest, Doc, Orion, and so on. Eldest just seems like the kind of a****** to do it. Orion was just suspicious. And Doc...I guess he was suspicious too. And then BOOM, it was Orion, but Elder was the one who unplugged Amy, 'cause he thought she was cool looking, because she was different. Mind blown.

description

My review is going everywhere. I literally can't even think. My thoughts are just everywhere, and I'm having trouble forming proper sentences, and proper thoughts. And putting everything into orderly paragraphs which all make sense, and pertain to their own topics. But they don't. Sorry. So I think I'm going to end it here. I feel like this turned out more like a rant than a review.

description

Basically, this book was absolutely fantastic. And I can't even think, it was really good. I was having so many mind blown moments, and so many "Holy s***, oh my god!!" moments. It was so good, and I couldn't figure out anything about who did anything until the end. It was like everything fell into place, every single moment in the book, every single piece came together. Plus, I was bracing myself for a really romantic book, but it wasn't even. It was like one or two kisses, and that's it. Added bonus!

- Mannytee



View all my reviews


Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!