Down on the Other Street by Jennifer Cie (Manali's Review)

Down On The Other Street: Volume IDown On The Other Street: Volume I by Jennifer Cie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Long winded, unemployed, and timid, on the first date Brendan Bloom is already in love. Comfortably arched over his body, Ryan contemplates murder. Cold, necklace gleaming against the pale tint of her collarbone, the passenger could have mercy. Not a little black book, but a faded love letter out from under the sheets. Some romances ignite on sight, others flare at the base of waterless tubs soaked in agitation. Rooted in the South, this collection of short stories delivers five electric confessions of love, sexuality, and identity across time.




To be honest here, I think this could have been a fantastic book, had it not been for all the confusion. Maybe it's just the lack of experience talking, or maybe it was just me being dumb, but I was quite confused. It was like a bunch of unrelated stories put into one book. I thought eventually, something would connect them all. Maybe something did connect them all, but once again, my lack of experience in reading blinded me, and prevented me from fully understanding. After that, I just chose to believe that the book was a compilation of stories. I'm not sure if I'm right in believing that, but apparently I am, according to the synopsis.

description

Other than the whole thing where I couldn't figure out whether it was one story or a compilation of stories, the confusion was mostly due to just not getting what was happening. A lot of the time, I couldn't figure out who's perspective it was in, or the sexuality of the person (were they straight, gay, etc.) or the gender of the person. Other times, I just couldn't picture anything in my head--the image wasn't really clear. On top of all that, I couldn't decipher the title. I couldn't really figure out why the title was the title.

description

I think most of the problem is that I was the reader of this book. If someone else had read the book, the review would probably be a lot more meaningful, because they would have had more understanding than I do. But it's just me. And I didn't get the book completely, so there's not much for me to say.

However, those problems aside, if I were judging the stories on their own, they were actually pretty good. Yeah, a bit sexual, but that's okay. The stories themselves were good. Different time periods with the same theme: accepting yourself, accepting who you love. Or rather, the struggle of acceptance.

I've nothing left to say now. I've explained my confusion, and I can't really say anything worth anything because I was confused by the book. This book did have it's good parts, and I'm sure I would've found the book a lot more enjoyable had I understood it. But it wasn't bad. I was just confused.

- Mannytee

View all my reviews
Down On The Other Street: Volume I

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!