Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi (Manali's Review)

Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*WARNING SPOILERS*

Hey guys! I'm back. And I plan on fulfilling our "New Year's Resolution" #1, which is to post two or more times a week. I've already got one queued up, so this will be the second. (Also, you can expect some more posts from me this week, if you read my Monday post coming up, and from the other guys as well.) Anyhow, I felt like today's a good day to post a review.

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do—and they are just as determined to stay together.

Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.




Right. i'm going to go straight to the point: this book was good. This book makes me glad I put myself through the first one. This book makes me glad I have mini-OCD, and I can't stand to read part or a book or series.

No but really, the first book was a bit ishy--slow, kind of boring--but this one and the last one were really good.

So the book starts off in a cave where Aria, the Tides and the Dwellers that she got out of Reverie are staying. And the Aether storms are getting worse. Perry is off somewhere waiting for Roar to come back.

And when Roar comes back, he's pissed. I kind of like that about the story. I like how Liv's death turns these best friends--brothers almost--into strangers.

I really like Aria's relationship with the Tides. They seem to have come to accept her, llikely now that she's been established as an Aud. Aria's just like, the kind of middle-man, the negotiator between the Tides and the Dwellers: a girl who used to be a Dweller, but is actually an Aud because her Father (who is Sable's guy, what the hell) is an Aud. Which is cool. She finally has a role in this society after being the useless Dweller.

But that's not the interesting part.

It really starts to get all badass when they decide to go on a recon mission. And I really like that bit because it unites the Dwellers and the Tides--forming a team to fulfill a common purpose.

At this point, I really start liking Soren. I mean, he's the a**hole that knocked Aria out back in Reverie. And even though he's kind of a traitor near the end of the mission at the Komodo, I like that he's helped out. And he's pretty smart.

The whole recon team is badass, actually: Perry, Aria (her badass-ness is debatable, actually), Brooke, Soren, and Jupiter. And Roar. Stupid Roar, though. Sabotaged the original mission. I mean I get it, he wanted revenge. But they all barely got out alive. But they did get Cinder at least. Which means they held the key to reaching the Still Blue.

The Still Blue. I think that deserves an explanation. So basically, the Aether storms are ripping apart everything. Killing everything and everyone. And the Tides, the Dwellers and the Horns are trying to get to the Still Blue, the only place where there is no Aether, nothing to threaten their safety. However, there is an Aether barrier between the Aether filled skies and the Still Blue. And the only one who can breach that barrier is this kid named Cinder. And he's the reason that the recon team was assembled. To go get him so that they can both rescue him from Sable (bad guy), and possibly help themselved get through the barrier.

Which brings us back to the mission. The team is literally so clever. Posing as Hess (Sable's Dweller pawn, sort of) to get them access to a ship that could get them to the Komodo, which is a mobile base for the Horns/Horns Dwellers.

And it worked. Until stupid Roar happened. For god's sake, Roar.

description

It wasted so much time, not to mention their imprisonment, Perry's torture. . .I'm glad Brooke and Jupiter went home to the cave before reaching the Komodo.

I think the Komodo scenes were the climax of the book. Well, sort of. Because after all the s*** that went down in the Komodo, the torture, confinement, Hess being a traitor to the Horns, the fight, Hess dying, the Komodo taking off, and getting off of it again, everything was calm for a while. Everything was calm until they decided to take a shot at reaching the Still Blue.

And then of course, Cinder breaks the barrier, dies, Perry gets lost. (Sorry, little bit predictable.) The Horns attempt to take over the Tides, then Perry, Aria and Roar save the day and kill Sable. (Also predictable.) Yay, happy ending.

I find that it's okay for some parts to be totally predictable as long as the rest of the book is interesting. So this book was okay.

Whatever. I don't even know why I'm retelling the entire story. (I did say spoilers, though.)

Okay, this didn't turn out as much of a review. But really, what I'm trying to say is that this was the best book out of the three. I think that the one thing that's good about a series is that as you progress, there's less and less character development to do. I mean, yeah, you have to think up what a character would do in reaction to a certain scenario, but really, the character is already laid out. All that's left to do is give it words and actions.

So yeah. Massive improvement here from the first book. Better writing, not as boring, not as . . . slow. Just to sum up this massive review (I'm not even gonna blame you if you skipped more of it, I'm so sorry about all that), this book was actually legit. And if you read the first book and are feeling like dropping it, just trust me, don't, because this book is something to look forward to.

- Manny

(P.S. I'm so sorry, this review was absolutely atrocious. I cry. It'll be better next time . . . hopefully.)


View all my reviews

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing from y'all! Loved the review, liked the review or hated the review? Leave us a comment! Tell us what you would like to see and what you don't. Thanks you for spending time on our blog! Have a wonderful day!